Thursday 15 September 2016

Day 6: Thu 15th – Vlkolinec, Banska Štiavnica & Levice - Slovakia

Sunrise 6:16am – Sunset 6:58pm
Weather Forecast:   28 & sunny
Steps:   7,684     5.3 km

As it's a travel day today, I thought I would get up well before the wake up call so that the suitcase would be ready on time and also, so I could catch up on emails etc.... Wake up was supposed to be at 6:45am. Mine came through at 6:15am. As I was up, that didn't bother me but I wouldn't mind betting that some people will not be happy.
The coach departed on time at 8:30 this morning and we were soon on the motorway.  This morning was cool enough that I put a jacket on for the first leg of the drive.  We had a short break at 9:15 near a dam.  Liptovska Mara I think and on the road again at 9:40.
We arrived at Vlkolinec shortly before 10:30. The road up to the village was very narrow and coaches have to get permission to travel on it. Fortunately we did have permission, as when we were up there someone came to check.
The view over the valley from the car park

The old wooden house style 









Karin was saying that there is a huge fine if a coach travels there without permission.  We spent about 20 minutes with a local person and then had time to wander.







We were all back at the coach and heading down the mountain by 11:30. Thankfully only 2 cars came up while we were travelling down and there just enough room for them to pass us.
We stopped at midday in Donavaly for lunch, which we had at the Donovalsky Pivovar restaurant.  Karin had arranged for tables to be reserved for us, so we easily found seating.  It was a very busy restaurant with some unusual memorabilia.








I had bean soup and a small beer. €5.90.  








  
 An interesting chandelier over the bar

 When I came out of the restaurant, there were hand gliders everywhere.  I hadn't noticed them when we entered the restaurant. Anywhere from 19 to 25 of them, floating off the small peak behind the village.  This is ski resort area and there are people everywhere because today is a bank holiday in Slovakia. Karin thinks that many people will take tomorrow off and have a 4 day weekend, hence so many visitors around.

We were due to depart at 12pm but some people didn't get back to the coach until 12:20.  I think they had a long wait for their meal.
We had a comfort stop just before 1pm and for the first time, I actually napped while on the bus. Mind you travelling on the highway makes for a very smooth road ride.
We then visited  another UNESCO site, Banskej Stiavnice.  A town that was once rich from gold & silver mining.   
I have to admit to having switch off to what the local guide was saying but I did take some photos.  

part of an old mine







The Knocking Tower.
From there, we took the scenic road to Levice, where we arrived around 5:30pm.  Dinner was in the hotel and I opted to have an early night, hence not updating this last night. 
Another early start today with a 8am departure. 

2 comments:

  1. This tour is very go go go. Enjoying your blog and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is Pam. More go go go, than I thought it would be. We don't head out until 9am this morning (Sunday 18th) and it is so nice having the later start.

    ReplyDelete